Accident Scene Management: A One Day Course
Many companies do not realise that – should there be an accident in their workplace – not only may they face criminal legal proceedings for alleged breaches of health & safety law but, as part of this process, they may also have to PROVE to a judge and jury that they had done all they reasonably could to avoid the accident, i.e. they must PROVE that they had maintained their duty of care to keep employees safe in the workplace. If they fail to meet this challenge then the fines imposed could be significant.
This doctrine is known as “the reverse burden of proof“.
Because the company may have to PROVE its innocence in Court it’s crucial that management always have somebody available to take charge of the accident scene in the immediate aftermath of an incident. But will the nominated manager understand what needs to be done and how to do it? If he doesn’t then crucial evidence may be lost from the accident scene and the company may be unable to defend itself in Court.
This specially written 1-day course is designed to meet the needs of anyone who may have to take initial responsibility for scene management after an industrial accident has taken place. This is not an accident investigation course per se but it ensures that all available evidence is gathered as soon as possible so it can be made available to the appointed investigator.
During the day delegates will learn:
- How the “reverse burden of proof” doctrine works
- An overview of legal issues such as the risk of prosecution of senior managers/ directors under section 37 Health & Safety at Work Act 1974; the employer’s duty of care; and corporate manslaughter.
- How to manage the incident scene.
- How to identify different types of evidence.
- How to collect and preserve critical evidence.
- How to collate the evidence found in order to help the company build a legal defence.
The course can be offered on a FIXED PRICE basis at your offices or, if you wish, we can arrange a suitable venue off site (an additional charge would normally apply for this option).
Please feel free to contact us on 0208 242 6241 for further details of price and availability, and to discuss how this valuable training course could be tailored to meet the specific needs of your management team.